Sunday 18 July 2010

Club Night 16th July

For the first time in a few weeks I had the pleasure of laying in a game I had not organised. Steve K set up an ACW black powder based loosely on a Quatre Bras type layout. I joined Ian commanding the Confederates, while Andy, Bob and Scott took the attacking Northerners.

I immediately decided the best defence is a good offence, and stormed off my hill, leaving Ian to hold the line while I put in a spoiling attack. And what an attack it was! I was nearer the Northerner board edge than I had started to my own and was fighting them hard as they tried to deploy from their match columns. In the Union numbers and short range artillery told and the Brigade was destroyed.

Their losses were not in vain through. Poor command had prevented the other Union flank advancing as quickly as it would like and our reserves had arrived threatening the columns on our right and reinforcing the centre, so by the time the Union troops had reorganised themselves and finally attacked the ridge the positions were stronger than they had been at the start of the game.

Despite the heavy losses, the Confederate had achieved a victory and delayed the Union advance. Now they should have been able to gather their army and will be in a better position for the next battle...

No comments:

Post a Comment